Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Five Steps forward...the MAP outline


With yesterday's poetic (and somewhat lengthy) preface, I have put the MAP Process outline below.  Again, I will take these apart over the next few weeks and give you space and time to think and share.  But by way of introduction, here's the overall framework.

Update* : When I copied this list from the materials I had, I did not mean to copy the part about whose input went with each step.  I hope everyone will contribute to every step! 
----------

Five steps of the MAPS process. 

The facilitator gathers ideas from the participants on the following areas as input towards adopting a life vision for the student which may include goals for:
  • education, 
  • employment, 
  • independent living and 
  • community participation

Areas 

1. HISTORY: a short description of the background and individual circumstances that led you here today.  Include significant events and identifying qualities.

2. DREAMS: a vision of things you would like to see happening as you expand your vision of Eli in the near and long term future. Dream big!  Do not curtail your dreams for Eli with “realistic goals”—that happens in steps 4 and 5 of the process.  Ask yourself, what would be the greatest future you could imagine.

3. FEARS: a description of your worries or concerns about Eli’s future.  What hazards and barriers do you see?  Where might people, places, or limits on experiences, skills, or resources stand in the way of realizing whatever goals Eli has before him?

4. WHO AM I / STUDENT CHARACTERISTICS: a description of yourself, including the strengths, skills, likes, and values you perceive in Eli.  What words best describe Eli? What skills, gifts, and talents will support Eli’s journey toward his goals?  What other skills and talents will Eli need? What do you like/dislike about Eli’s current situation? What values and beliefs guide Eli’s life and work and guide your role as a person supporting Eli’s development and future?

5. NEEDS: a description of the things that need to happen to help make the vision for Eli’s future come true.  This list will include new experiences, skills, or resources and support that Eli will need.

Once these inputs are gathered, the team will work together with the family and student to make short- and long-term plans for the student.  

The MAPS process will continue to be a guiding instrument for academic planning, extra-curricular activities, financial planning and family communication with stakeholders in Eli’s community.

No comments:

Post a Comment