Sunday, February 10, 2013

Siblings? Oh, right . . .

Durga's daughter is on the same wave length with Eli's sister.  This post from a few days ago came almost on the same day that I heard, "I am completely forgotten in this family." 

I can't argue with that.  Not because it is true, but because it is perceived to be true.  Which matters more, whether you are forgotten or whether you feel you are? 

Point taken.  In fact, tonight, during and after the latest catastrophe or three, I had to tell her that she was on her own getting to bed, I had to clean up, get Motrin, soothe Eli and I would be at it for a while.  "Good night; love you . . ."


We deal.  She deals.  For her birthday all she wanted was a guaranteed 7 days or partial days when she would have all my attention.  No presents.  Just time.  A movie, a shopping trip, a dinner.  We've done about 5 of those already.  It's lovely and lovely to be asked.  But it doesn't make up for nights like tonight.  

So, what do I do?  How do I try better?  

I meditate on being an intentional parent . . . to BOTH of my kids.  I realize that "fair" is not "same." And I practice loving myself kindly as a first step to loving them better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment