Friday, March 16, 2012

Big fluffy dreams (step two)

Eli circa 2008 in Quechee with Snowy Day

DREAMS... a vision of things you would like to see happening as you expand your vision of Eli in the near and long term future. 


One of our dreams for Eli--to celebrate his milestones, including his birthday, with his peers--was realized last Sunday when Eli had his bowling birthday party.  First real party ever, with friends and birthday presents.  (I think he liked it because he told me that we're doing it again, presents and all, this Sunday).  We have thought and planned this for years.  But I haven't felt emotionally safe enough to extend the invitation until this year.  I just couldn't take the prospect of having the invitation declined.  So they never went out.


Until this year.  And, you know what? The most beautiful, amazing boys--Eli's classmates--came and had a good time and brought him the most thoughtful presents ever.  


These dreams are as much about us as Eli.  When we dream about his future, we dream about ours.  So . . .


Dream big!  


Again, for the more concrete folks: Please do not curtail your dreams for Eli with “realistic goals”—that happens in steps 4 and 5 of the process.  


Ask yourself, what would be the greatest future you could imagine.  Rock star? Paleontologist (Eli's latest career goal)? Astronaut (another recent one)? 


When I saw his hands moments after he was born, I said, "brain surgeon." In a way, I am right already.  He's healed my brain many times over.  


Will Eli fall in love? Run for mayor? Play in a band? Will he have a garden? A farm?  



No comments:

Post a Comment